Patient Privacy (HIPAA)
Florida International University is committed to protecting the privacy of patients who receive care and treatment at the University's health care facilities. The University's framework to protect the privacy of patient information derives from its responsibilities and obligations under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 and implementing regulations (HIPAA), the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended (FERPA), and other federal and state laws that apply to this information.
In this web page, you will find direct links to the following:
University Privacy and Security Policies
University Notice of Privacy Practices
Effective as of September 1, 2009
Patient Privacy and Information Security Protections training module (a/k/a HIPAA)
As an FIU employee you must receive HIPAA training if, as part of your responsibilities, you will have access to personally identifiable information on patients receiving care at FIU or if you work in one of the University's HIPAA designated health care components..
If you work for Student Health Services or the College of Medicine, you must complete HIPAA training at time of onboarding to FIU, and annually thereafter.
Note: College of Medicine faculty, staff and students must complete on line training via CanvasMed. Completion credit will NOT be granted if training completed at non-CanvasMed learning management platforms.
Instructions for Accessing the University HIPAA Online Training:
- Go to the Professional Development and Training Site at http://fiumdl.fiu.edu.
- Click the login link in the upper right hand corner and log in with your My Accounts username and password.
- On the left side of the site front page, you will see a Non-Academic Courses block. The first link in that block is to the HIPAA Online Training. Click the link to enroll directly in the training course.
Instructions for Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine Faculty, Staff and Students Accessing CanvasMed:
- Go to https://canvasmed.fiu.edu/
- Sign in with your FIU credentials
The training sessions cover the following topics:
- HIPAA Overview, including:
- Key Definitions
- Privacy and Security Rule Requirements
- Civil and Criminal Penalties
- Breach and Incident Reporting
- Mitigation, Sanctions, Complaints and Non-retaliation
- Privacy Basics:
- Notice of Privacy Practices
- Individual Rights
- Minimum Necessary Standard
- Security Practices:
- Workstation Access
- Portable Device
- Account Management